Saturday, March 7, 2009

Like Sting, I'm Tantric

Day Eight:

Yoga. Blessing upon blessing upon blessing. Multi-layered thankfulness!!!

No, really, I love me some yoga. Why? It increases flexibility. People think you have to be flexible to do yoga, and that isn't true at all. You learn to be flexible in yoga. There are a lot of exercises that focus on stretching, and plenty of room for versatility if you're not at the point you want to be yet. You don't have to go all the way over with a forward bend, you go as far as you can. The more you do it, the more it works, same principle as stretching (Hell, it is stretching).

If you stay in certain positions longer, it can become an endurance workout. I go to yoga every week and sometimes I leave feeling like I had a real workout. The particular instructor I go to has a tendency to do positions that focus on core, a part of my body I am always interested in improving. If you know what to do, you can create an exercise regimen to match that with weights. And, you didn't hear this from me, but yoga provides some versatility in... You know, other areas of your life. Just saying :)

One of the most important benefits I get from yoga is a clear and destressed body and mind. The other night I went with a mildly upset stomach. I took some baking soda water or whatever about an hour or so before, and I'm sure that helped, too. But I've gone with heartburn, stuffed noses, what have you, and left feeling so much better. My circumstances were pretty mild, so keep that in mind, but, otherwise, it just may be worth your time. For sure, though, I feel little to no mental stress once I leave. I think that's the biggest reason I've kept going. I get such a peace of mind from doing yoga that I don't get anywhere or any other way in my life.

I definitely recommend trying a free class or even looking up poses yourself. Don't get to adventurous, though!

No comments: