Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beware!

Here, we have Red Bull. An energy drink. I've heard plenty of times how energy drinks are bad for you, they can cause higher risks of cardiovascular disease, brain tumors or what have you. What's missing in each of these cases?

Statistics.

I was going to be an educated and intelligent blogger and give you lots of information, but I'm too lazy for that and this is NOT a research paper. What I can tell you though is that, yes, there is a severe lack of statistics and conclusive data. Guarana does have some risks associated with it, but taurine and vitamin B don't have near as many, if at all. In fact, my research on taurine didn't really yield anything negative. I'm interested in finding out more information, but for the time being, I'm still on the Red Bull boat.

Sugar and caffeine seem to come under fire when people talk about the dangers, risks, etc. of energy drinks. Honestly, what doesn't have sugar? To say there are a lot of drinks on the market with a lot of sugar is an extreme understatement. And, to my knowledge, the FDA says that "68 mg per 12 oz. is acceptable." But I don't trust the FDA. For a lot of reasons. Yea, I know most 8-12 oz. energy drinks have more than 68 mg. Usually around 75 mg per serving. A Starbucks shot of espresso has 75 mg and the coffee, even a tall, has more than double, sometimes triple, that amount. Trust me, I know.

I'm coming to the conclusion that, no, energy drinks aren't that bad for you. I can't find a lot of data that emphasizes risks. I encourage you to do your own research, find out like I did. There's A LOT of information out there.

No comments: