Monday, May 16, 2011

Too Much

There is an article circulating on Twitter about how, and I shit you not, 'Black women are less attractive than women of other races and Black men are more attractive.'

The real title: Why Are Black Women Rated Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women, But Black Men Are Rated Better Looking Than Other Men?

And don’t worry, that’s just a silly edit. The original title didn’t have the qualifier of ‘rated.’ So, if you have to edit a title to make it more acceptable, should you have posted it in the first place? That is not today’s message or inquiry, but it’s one that stands.

A lot of the Black women I follow were outraged, and justifiably so. They were just told by someone’s ‘research’ that they are not as attractive as other races. Really? To add insult to injury, Psychology Today is responsible for publishing the article (I sincerely hope it does not make it to print). This is not a singular thing. Kanazawa makes a lot of claims that are considered ‘research.’

Then I go on to read an article about the horrors of ‘Power Bottoming’ by a man who obviously knows a lot about gay sex. Now, don’t get me wrong, the more straight men know about gay sex, the better, because then I won’t get asked dumb ass questions. However, it *always* looks a bit suspect when someone decries something as abhorrent from a Christian perspective then gives you a detailed and bulleted list about it.

Both of these articles, and some of the responses that came out of them, are deplorable. Usually I can fight such things with an angry passion, but today, I was just sad. I was sad that some Black people made racist comments about Asian people as a result, that some Black men told the angry Black women that they should just ignore it or move on or that it reflects their self-esteem, that my sexual orientation was seen as evil and that I was told that I prefer to submit to people as a bottom and a Black gay man (yeah, go find out if that’s true or not).

I’m tired of this bullshit. I’m tired of feeling alone in wanting things to change. I’m tired of people not crossing lines to take up arms against things like this (Where are my White brothers and sisters blasting the article about Black women? Where are my Black brothers and sisters whenever my sexual orientation is called evil?). We are incredibly insular when it comes to social change, and I’m fighting within myself to not be so.

I don’t want my sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, nor any strangers, to believe that they are ‘ugly’ or ‘less attractive’ simply by virtue of their race. I don’t want anyone to grow up with the message that sex is dirty and so are gay men. I’m tired of men being able to shirk responsibility because they are men, but at the same time be called sexual beings who can only think with their dicks.

Do you not see what is wrong about all this? Stop focusing on your singular existence. That is a message to you and to me.

No comments: