Friday, May 6, 2011

The (Perceived) Homogeneity of Nerd Culture

I love Socially Awkward Penguin. Upon refreshing the meme for myself, I noticed something: the ones that have any sort of gender reference are typically male and heterosexual. Interesting.

It made me think, 'This isn't the only place that happens.' We see it all the time: Big Bang Theory features 4 intelligent and nerdy men who love nerdy things. All the women... Well, they don't. Even cute little Amy Farrah Fowler, immensely intelligent but not current mention of a love of nerd culture thus yet.

I'm going to harp on this forever, because it, will probably be an issue as long as I live. I am constantly questioning the way things are, typically in favor of women, Black people, and the LGBT community. Admittedly, I need to expand my scope, because there are plenty of people who do not have representation in common (older people, various racial minorities, the physically disabled, etc). Yet, nerd culture is still typically seen as something that 'belongs' to the nerdy White, straight male.

People wonder why Gaymer or Nerd Girl culture exists, typically straight males. Well, from my perspective, and I know I've said this before, it's because there is typically not a space made for anyone but White, straight males in nerd culture. It gets to the point where you keep talking about it and people don't listen, or you get fed up and deal, as if this helps change the status quo.

I have friends that do make this space for me as a gay Black man. I can name plenty of White, straight nerdy men who are more than accommodating, and I love them for it. These men are what I wish everyone, including myself, was like because they are so inclusive. However, not everyone is like this. Not everyone is okay with making a character in a movie Black because it's not how things are in comics, and not out of hate, but they don't realize the effect that white/straight/able/youngwashing in movies does to those who are not in the majority. They're lost in their own sense of nostalgia and fear of change, and they're the ones who get marketed to in general and non-token ways (aka Black characters don't have to have the word Black in their name).

Currently, I am at a loss of how to handle it. I don't always take the opportunity to educate people, or let them know that their issues with Heimdall being Black because he's White in the comics is alienating. I need to learn to step up.

My bottom line is: Nerd culture is NOT just White, straight men, but too many people treat it as such, leaving those on the outside alienated, left to deal with a status quo that does not always acknowledge them or can effectively render them invisible.

No comments: