Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

You may wonder why I have so much trouble with faith and religion. I've been lucky. My parents aren't the poster children for acceptance, but my mom is on the way and my dad may be, too. I have way more than just one family. I have the love of my life. I have these and so many other things. I am lucky, but I feel like believing in God because I have been lucky is selfish.

Why did he choose to bless me when there are many other people who long for even one of the things I have listed? I wouldn't want to give up my life for a harder one, but I know I could have had one. I don't know if God favors me. I'd be sad if he did because there are whole countries full of people who deserve for more but get far less than I do.

I saw two wrecks on the way to see my family last night. I knew that some family is going to have a less happy Thanksgiving than if the wrecks had not happened. I get a happy Thanksgiving, and some people may not even get one.

I want a spot at my table for people who can't travel, who are separated from their families, who may not have families. I want people in the world to feel about their lives the way I do about mine, good or bad.

I'm thankful for so much. To whom? I'm not sure. I just know that I'm grateful and I need to show it. Maybe one day I can give someone a Thanksgiving dinner, metaphorically or literally, when they otherwise wouldn't have one.

Find something to give thanks for.

No comments: