Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why This Still Matters

As I sit at my desk, I get a wonderful, thought provoking idea that I cannot pass up. Thank God my advisor does not have much to put on my plate today; I (more or less) have the opportunity to get this off my mind.

I did my senior thesis on comic books (Social Interest and the Supervillain). There were some points where I felt I should have done something different. Why? Well, because I felt I was doing the Black and the gay community a disservice by not focusing the best chance to funnel my academic skill and resources (thesis) into a project relating to one or both of these demographics. Again, why? Must I always promote the progression of the Black or gay or Black and gay community? Must my efforts always go toward goals of any of these communities? Where, if there is any, is there room for me to express my passions and desires as an individual rather than a member of a group? The answer is complicated.

My Theories of Psychotherapy book mentioned a quote from one of the author's patients, which basically outlined the pressure for Black academicians to take up arms in a Black cause or promote Black history. The client felt that he could not pursue his passion, History, without being called a traitor by not focusing on Black issues. He then asked his counselor if he ever felt that pressure as a White male. The counselor replied that no, he did not feel that pressure.

So, now, in my first semester of grad school, why am I burning with the passion to do something for Black people, LGBT people, LGBT people of color, and any disenfranchised group I can get my hands on? First, there is a lack of psychological literature on people in many different demographics. I want this to change. We need to learn how to address the unique problems that many unique people face, all the while keeping in mind that "humans are like all people, some people, and no other person" (forgive me for the misquote). I want to start groups, attend conferences and generally foster inclusion and acceptance of all people.

However, I feel like advocacy and research are my "ticket" in. I will finally be accepted by groups I have never truly felt I fit into (we've covered this). I will make connections with gay people, Black people, and many others and finally feel accepted. I'm doing this out of a desire for the welfare and informed knowledge of other groups, but also out of a need to find acceptance and connection.

I believe that race is still a pertinent issue and will continue to be one, and, no, not because I'm making it one. The day we can all rise up and forget the overt and covert racism, homophobia, sexism, and the many other 'isms of the past and work to undo the damage they have caused is the day I'll give up my fight. There is racism in the gay community. Transgendered people do not find the same level of acceptance that even I do. There is much we need to change and much we need to address.

No comments: