Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Race and Superheroes

I couldn't let this sit.

I read a ComicVine forum on some people being upset that John Stewart wasn't the Green Lantern for the upcoming movie. According to the quotes posted, some people thought a white man shouldn't be cast. Why? Well, they were accustomed to the Justice League cartoon, which featured John Stewart rather than Hal Jordan. I loved it; it was nice seeing a Black man as one of my favorite heroes. However, I like most of the GLs, save for Guy Gardner, so I would have been happy with any of them.

The question proposed by the article/forum was: Does race matter in casting superheroes? And, even as fired up as I am right now, I can only say yes and no.

I think some of the comments brought up good points in that some heroes like Storm and Black Panther shouldn't have race changes in other media because their race is integral to their identity. I would argue the same for Echo, Psylocke, Banshee, and the Huntress as their races or ethnicities are an integral and evident part of their personalities and characterization. However, others, like the Trinity for DC, may not change based on the race of the actor/actress portraying them.

I think there could be a Black Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. I don't see much in their histories that absolutely says they must be portrayed by a white character. I'm not clear on Amazons in Greek mythology and what ethnicity they're supposed to be, but I would just assume Greek. I think there are many characters whose race is just a matter of fact issue rather than an important part of their identity.

One of the big issues I had with some of the comments was that the assumption that if a character is Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, etc. it shouldn't be changed. As I said before, I think race is integral for some characters. However, I think this assumption promotes the whiteness of superheroes. I harp on this a lot, but a majority of superheroes are White, male, and straight. As comic fans, we should not be so scared of change that we promote ideas like this which perpetuate the status quo. "Don't change what I love!" seems to resound from some fans on many situations, race included. I wonder, though, what a drastic "diversity upheaval" would do.

Of course, this means that minority characters can be portrayed by white actresses and actors if I'm using this logic (which doesn't sit well with me because there is a much smaller number of minority characters by comparison). So, I wonder what this would do, to see a cast of superheroes that is typical an arrangement of different minorities in the comics but primarily white in other media. I'm trying to give thought as to the other side, but I do not promote this idea. I don't think it's racist or discriminatory to try to make typically white characters other races in different media if it does not drastically alter the character, but making typically minority characters white only seems to support a status quo and is a reflection of whitewashing.

This is a hot issue, or maybe I'm deluding myself. But, like I said, I just couldn't sit on this without saying something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also come across people's dislike of Hal Jordan being white instead of John Stewart, and I chalk that up to everyone loving Justice League, and honestly could have worked either way.

Though I don't think Stewart is an interesting character on his own personally.

I see what you mean about some heroes not being linked to their racial/sexual identities, but I can see some inherit issues with changes.

Take Superman for example, would a black alien from out of space be as easily accepted in Kansas? Would he have grown up in Kansas? Does he grow up elsewhere? How does that change who he is?

I don't want to say too much, but I also see the problem w/ Batman.. the notion of a black billionaire, seems harder to hide behind his "dimwitted" persona and the sorts, where I think Bruce kind of gets away w/ it because e could be the spoiled rich boy...

Yeah this.. carry on

Allen said...

Not to mention the trouble with writers working to make a character adapt to the actor. I feel like people more often make typecast, token, or misinformed racial characters/adaptations. I do feel like race would not matter (it may say more to Krypton to have more than just people we'd consider White and for the Kents to raise a Black child as a child, not necessarily one of a particular race).

There is also trouble in that people define race/ethnicity based on certain characteristics and that a character is seen as "not his/her race" if he/she does not fit typically accepted racial norms or external labels.

Mara said...

Let's keep in mind that comics have traditionally reflected issues in society. The big players (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.) were created in a time when minorities were almost avoided. Everybody wanted the American ideal. However, I agree that it is upsetting that we do not see more diversity in our superheroes. Though I'm not sure about altering traditional heroes in the comics, I am definitely in favor of creating new superheroes that reflect the changing American landscape. There are so many issues that can be addressed from a minority perspective in a comic book.

As far as movies go, it would be so awesome to see a minority played a major white hero, mostly because it would force all of us to look beyond skin color/gender/sexual preference and appreciate the characters' ideals and what they fight for.

Anonymous said...

Guy Gardner is the best Green Lantern and you know it.

Anonymous said...

Guy Gardner is an interesting Green Lantern.

As for a movie re-casting an hero's race, I think it could work if it wasn't an A-class superhero, I mean it was the opposite, but look what happened with The Last Airbender and its "white-washing"