Tuesday, August 21, 2012

When None of the Pictures Look Like You

So, I came across a wonderful article earlier that talks about body image issues among gay men. Yeah, it wasn't quite there, but I agreed with its essence: Gay men are surrounded by images of 'perfection', ultimately an external illusion that others have better bodies (with the implicit assumption that they always will). We are at the mercy of a media that readily buys into the idea of the affluent, young, attractive, built (and mostly hung) gay man. But, let's add one more idea to that: White.
How often do you find men and women of color on media marketed toward LGBT people? How many times did Will on Will & Grace have a love interest that was not White and was not Taye Diggs? How often is an LGBT character on a tv show, in a movie, or in comics, not White? Don't worry; I'll wait.

That article hit on the issue of body image for gay men explicitly, but the issue of representation implicitly. I'm used to it. As a Black gay man, I'm used to not seeing faces that look like mine. I'm used to there being a severe lack of Black people in media in general that do not reflect the mythical (though people pretend it's reality) Black Monolith. I love comics, and I'm used to not having favorite Black characters, or having my favorite Black characters relegated to B-listed titles or phased from existence. Replace 'Black' with 'gay' in the previous statements, and then replace that with 'Black and gay', and you have one of my major dilemmas with consuming almost any media in America.

The pictures simply do not look like me.

I occupy the intersection of salient social identities, so this struggle is even harder. I've all but given up on seeing a Black gay face that I can relate to (hence why I created one: see, www.battlejeans.blogger.com). Representation is a very big issue. That's why under a list of heterosexual or White privileges, you have items that say 'If I pick up a magazine, watch tv, or play music, I can be certain my sexual orientation will be represented' (heterosexual privilege) and 'I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented' (White privilege).

This representation can make people feel invisible. It made me feel invisible for a long time. Not just that: it led me to treat other non-White LGBT people as invisible, too. I've talked about this before, but it's a lesson I'm still learning from and a dilemma I still see easily perpetuated in media and society. That sense of invisibility is dehumanizing. It means I and other LGBT people of color have less visibility, which results in less of a voice. HRC and GLAAD, two of the biggest organizations within the gay rights movement, seem to perpetuate the issue as well. What hurts worse is that Gay Rights has a White voice and a White voice.

So, where does that leave LGBT people of color? Where does that leave me? Am I left to contend with body image issues and homophobia as a gay man, then racism as a Black man? In short, yes, even if the words 'faggot' or 'nigger' are never shot my way.

What do you do when none of the pictures look like you? Luckily, we can create our own stories and therefore the representation we desire. Comics, movies, music, television, and other forms of media need more representative faces. I very seldom see Asian women in my InStyle magazines, and the amount of Latinas and Black women in those magazines isn't even great.

We have a long way to go, and representation still may not be what I want by the time I leave this Earth, but we still have something. Maybe I'll be one of those faces. Maybe Aaron will let a young Black gay boy know he can be a super hero, too. Maybe newer generations of LGBT people will be inspired not just by White names that find an easier route into history.

So, when none of the pictures look like you: You find some, you make some, or both. No one has to be represented by a face that isn't theirs, and everyone deserves the right and privilege of being represented.

1 comment:

Johnathan O. said...

First thing I always think back to when "black and gay" comes up is when reality TV was still having its first boom and Real World: Philadelphia was on. The first time I could really note on TV where the entire season had been overshadowed by homosexuality.
More notably, it was the black guy with baseball cap, nice trends, timberlands, the "look" you get from the "every" black guy...but early in the season it was revealed that he was gay. Think it was when they were at a straight club and he wasn't in his comfort zone. Through the season, giant focus of the cameras was that gay guy and his friend who had completely accepted who he was from the very start, and LOTS of drama (but expected with the insecure people of Real World).

Digress all that. I honestly don't think it is the media's doing of focusing on the trend of gay people only represented by white people...at least directly. That's a continuing trend in all media and marketing though it is changing, huge change of it in commercials.

One of the big things, at least from where I see it, is blacks, latino and asian people don't have a representative in media that is gay. In every cultural change there is some kind of leader/figure-head that is the face of the group, and when it comes to all the "minorities", no celebrity is standing up and being proud/outgoing.

For blacks at least, becomes even more of a cultural clash. To put it shortly, "You know black people". I could be even more blunt and say you know how niggas are. Maybe with family in black communities there is acceptable, but among friends and black schools I've been to "Nigga you gay" still exist.

Do agree though, since nobody is standing out and being a representative now, this generation has to create it. Sadly does mean it will be awhile before it becomes a norm to not just see white people standing out and "being proud of who they are", but for all of races to be the same.

That all said...good luck with that in music. Cite Boondocks.