Monday, June 21, 2010

Racist!

So, is absolutely EVERYTHING racist in some way? If it's a principally black or white cast is THAT racist? If it portrays people in a stereotype is THAT racist?!

People are constantly pointing fingers; THIS is racist! THAT is racist! Sometimes to call something racist you even have to use racist language (ex: me calling the girl cast as Katara a whiny white girl). I'm so tired of this! I'm not even sure it's worth it to be aware of this stuff anymore. When you bring it up some people look at you crazy; some look at you like you should have caught on long ago. Damnit, we need to pick our battles.

We don't have to boycott absolutely everything in order to make racism go away. In fact, boycotting may not even be the key. It may me too late for the older generations to accept and adopt the message of love regardless of the outside (or sometimes inside). But how about teaching our children the difference? How about taking them to see The Last Airbender but at the same time showing them what went wrong with the movie? How about refusing to accept any language that debases another person? How about not using the words honky, cracker, nigger, faggot, chink, dyke, beaner, spick or anything of the like, even as the punchline of a joke? How about that?

We do a lot of raving and ranting about BET and The Last Airbender and how The Real Housewives of ATL are just cancerous sores on what we can call social relations in America. We do a lot of making people feel guilty about watching, supporting, or even thinking certain things. Well, I'm tired of feeling guilty for wanting to see The Last Airbender. Do I even need to feel guilty at all?

I'm picking my battles and choosing to showcase what I want to see in the world in my ways on my terms.

No comments: