Wednesday, May 19, 2010

B-Listed

Ms. Marvel,

I found out about you when I first played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, so I'm much behind the curve. However, I fell in love. I have a thing for strong heroines in comics. Or, strong female figures in general. However, as much as I loved you, I found out that, maybe, few others did.

I'm the only one of my friends who openly touts his admiration from you. In fact, I don't really hear many people talk about you at all. Where are you? You're supposed to be such a strong figure, you were figuring things out for yourself. You were going to put yourself at the top of the world. And you did. Then, issue #50 happened.

So, Ms. Marvel is a part of the New Avengers. I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I feel like she got B-Listed. Again. Cap knows her and how good she is, but maybe my adoration of her is getting out of hand and making me a bit presumptuous. I feel like she deserves a spot next to her friend, Jessica Drew, the Spider-Woman. Though she will share a spot with Jessica Jones, whom I am very glad is returning, she, and maybe Jessica Jones, too, deserve a shining spot. And I'm not talking about the potty-mouthed Alias series (though I did like it).

I think Carol deserves her day, much like Spider-Woman did, especially after all that happened to her. Just, when is she going to get it? Is Bendis going to treat her right in New Avengers? Is she going to be the leader and not just second in command?

Cartol, like I said, you deserve your day. So, maybe, we should have a Ms. Marvel day :)

Someday :)

1 comment:

Magnet Girl said...

I agree she should have more fanfare. I want her to get her own series back. But I am actually much happier with her in New Avengers than in Avengers. I think Avengers (haven't read the first one yet, so this is not informed) is going to be the big splashy la-di-da super title and I think New Avengers will be much better. For me, at least, since I don't care about the big battles and the big three and the big plot. I care about the characters -- most especially Carol. I think she'll get have a much better chance to shine in NA where she doesn't have to steal the spotlight from Thor and Iron Man and Captain America to get to do anything. The New Avengers Finale was a huge showcase for Carol where she was a bit player in Siege (BUT, she did get to be the ONLY woman in the final shot). So I think it's for the best the way it stands today -- what would be for the best *overall* is if the biggest, mainest, specialest title was also the best -- and then I'd want her in that one. But I'm happy with NA and I still have hope for a new solo title.

Also, I pitched the biggest fit ever when New Avengers was first announced way back when right after Avengers Dissassemble and included Wolvie and Spidey. But Bendis won me over and now I can't imagine my Avengers team not having Peter Parker (Logan, I agree, should go back to the X-Men, and I am ignoring all X-titles atm). Solo Spidey is kinda whatever for me but Avengers-Spidey is one of mt favourites!! :)